How to use EcoBugs
EcoBugs is simple to set up, engaging and great for enhancing learning for 7-11 year olds.
Follow these simple instructions and you'll be up and running with it in no time.
Getting the game set up
- Download the free teacher pack
- Download the install the free iPhone app to your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4
- Decide on the location for your game, e.g. the school playing fields or whole school site.
- Print out the special 'habitat' markers from the teacher pack.
Tip: the pack comes with common habitats, just print the ones you can use around your school
- Go the the website www.EcoBugs.org.uk, register and login to the site
- go to the Create a Game tab
- Choose a name for your game (e.g. class4bgame1) and enter it on the page.
- Add any teams you want to appear in the game
- Click 'Create Game' and a game ID will be automatically generated. The players will enter it on the EcoBugs homepage to see the results of the game later on. Tip: make a note of the game ID.
- Open the EcoBugs app on your iPhone and choose 'setup game'
- Enter your login details (email address and password)
- Enter the game ID that you made a note of earlier
- Go outside into your game area and start placing your markers and follow the on-screen instructions
- Place the printed marker in its habitat and while you are there, press the on-screen button matching the location of the marker and the habitat type.
Tip: GPS will locate you but ensure the markers are at least 10 meters apart
- You will be prompted to take a photo of the marker location too, showing the markers wider surroundings for the website
- Repeat these steps for each marker you place
- When you have placed all your markers, scroll to the bottom of the app screen and click 'Save markers'.
All set, now you are ready to play!
Once the players have iPhones they are ready to go out and start finding bugs.
Tip: each group can share an iPhone
- Start the EcoBugs app in the iPhone
- Choose the game you want to play (the app will show you all games available in the local area)
- Choose your groups (assigned by the teacher)
- You will now see the radar bug tracking screen, move around until you see flashing dots on the screen where the bugs are living
- Once you are in the area, look for the special marker
- Switch to 'capture mode' using the button at the bottom left of the screen and hold the iPhone still viewing the marker. A bug should walk onscreen.
- View the bug and decide if you want to catch it, press the capture button when it becomes visible.
- To catch it, select the bait which you think will attract it, click the left and right arrows to see all the bait.
- Once the bug is fully in the box, close the lid by swiping your finger down the phone screen to trap the bug.
Tip: don't move the box lid too quickly or move the phone too much or you'll scare the bug off!
- If you are the first to catch the bug, you get the chance to name it
- To classify your bug, simply answer the on-screen questions.
- Catch as many bugs as you can (considering if they are endangered or not)
After the game
- At the website, enter the game ID and click 'enter game'
- View 'your collection' to see your groups collection of bugs and find out more information about the bug
- 'Location summary' -will show you what bugs have been found in which habitats
- 'Habitats' is where you can read about what sort of bugs like to live in the different habitats you have set up. Here you can also see the photo of the habitat you took when setting the game up
- 'Game Overview' is where you can see how each of the groups playing that game have performed
- Use some of the class activities from the teacher's pack to extend the learning from the game.
We hope you enjoy playing with EcoBugs!